Sunday, July 11, 2010

Not The Yellow Butterfly

This morning there was a yellow butterfly that kept flying around yellow leaves on a tree outside. I was able to see it from the comfort of my sofa as I looked through the sliding glass doors and the lanai.

This afternoon, there it was again. I started wondering if it was only a coincidence that the leaves were yellow and the butterfly was yellow. I thought about how a baby laughs and tries to touch the baby in the mirror. I thought about how most of us are attracted to others who are like us, even if only on a subconscious level.

I went outside with my camera. I took pictures of the yellow leaves, and watched a striped butterfly dart all around. Striped and not solid yellow? Had my eyes been deceiving me from the living room? Still beautiful.   I stood trying not to move, hoping the elusive would be still for a moment and cooperate with the photographer. I felt a sting. It was a mosquito. And then another one. I started imagining snakes. So I moved closer to my front door. There was the yellow butterfly -- directly in front of me. It was definitely yellow, but neither would it be still, not for a second.

What else can I photograph, now that I have the camera ready? I looked down and noticed a miniature plant with lacy leaves. I photographed it. I saw a tiny purple flower. I photographed it. Something flew past me. It landed. I think it was trying to be perfectly motionless, perhaps as a means of defense. Luckily, I was able to photograph it, but it would be impossible to capture its essence.

This beautiful dragonfly with a green head and blue tail and transparent wings almost went unnoticed. If I had not purposely been looking for an opportunity, I would have missed this stunning creature. What else am I missing because I am not paying attention?

According to http://www.dragonfly-site.com/meaning-symbolize.html : "The meaning of a dragonfly changes with each culture. The main symbolisms of the dragonfly are renewal, positive force and the power of life in general. Dragonflies can also be a symbol of the sense of self that comes with maturity. Also, as a creature of the wind, the dragonfly frequently represents change. And as a dragonfly lives a short life, it knows it must live its life to the fullest with the short time it has – which is a lesson for all of us."

Renewal
Positive Force
Power of Life
Sense of Self
Maturity
Change
It Must Live Life to the Fullest With the Short Time It Has

Yes. A lesson for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment